Baseball America - Top 100 Prospects

Posted by Nick on 10:17 AM




Baseball America released there top 100 prospects today. Mr. Wieters, the bona-fide-soon-to-be-superstar-who-hasn't-faced-AAA-pitching guy, found him self atop the charts. After that, we find Travis Snider - The great pasty white hope sitting in spot #6.

This grade seems spot on to me. The guys ahead of good ol' Snideyman are all either premium position players or flame throwing SP's. This goes to say alot about Snider. BA's one little comment talks about his power, which many of us have already seen.

To make a few comparisons to Snider, two other 3 possible outcome players (power HR hitter, takes lots of walks, and strikes out a hella' lot), Burrell and Dunn were ranked 2nd and 33rd the year before they graduated to the bigs. Snider seems to be smack dab in the middle of these two, with a closer comparison to Burrell. I think it's tough not to see Snider having success in the majors to some degree, but it's difficult to decide to what degree he will have success. Snider's main fault pointed out by many scout like people is the fact that he's a bit chunky, but it seems he's dropped a bit of the baby fat and is more of a baseball build compared to his football build that he used to have. All in all, I truely hope Snider becomes a masher with his HOF? potential.


The next guy to find himself ranked is good ol' Arencibia. I was incredibly surprised to see him at #43. I'm all for optimism with this kid, but until he learns to walk, I don't think he deserves to be this high. I don't want Barajas to be replaced with Barajas 2.0 (New and improved with more power! But just as many walks as before). I would have to agree more with Keith Law's placement of Arencibia in the 90's.

At long last we come to Cecil. Ranked at #72, first thing that comes to mind is WTFTHISSHITISBANANAS@#$@#$. I thought over this ranking for a while, and read over the Tao's post on Cecil, and I have concluded that it's pretty stupid to have Cecil so low. Yes I know he was a closer in college, and yes I know his innings are limited, but is there any other fault you can find with him? He has 2-3 plus pitches (depending on how his change up develops), he has no injury history that I can find, his K rates have been great (over 9K/9IP), his HR and BB rates have also been superb. It's tough to find any real faults with Cecil. I think the main reason why he's ranked so low, is because he's generally gone under the radar as compared to the likes of David Price, and Tommy Hanson.

0 comments:

Post a Comment